Wednesday 4 November 2009

Easy Christmas Card Template for you


While C was potting his pots, I went to get coffee and was distracted by a fabulous craft store. While browsing the many aisles of Christmas related card making toppers and embellishments I was struck by the feeling I often do when I have made cards like this, somehow they don't feel like my work, in addition they can end up very expensive!

These blank embossed cards caught my eye as well as a card full of 'Christmas wishes' etc, looking at the Christmas Trees I was struck by an idea. So all you need for this little project is some blank cards, a template (see below) some Christmas Greetings, some gold stars, gold and red glitter pens! They work out around 23p each, (including the cost of the pens!) but they include enough of an element of creativity to feel you have made them yourself.



  1. As you can see the trees are simply made of swirly curly shapes, all you do is cut out the tree and it's little tub, (it helps to fold the card) leaving the tree shape behind.
  2. Lay your template over the card roughly in the middle. Use your finger to find the edge. (make sure the card is the right way up! I managed to do one upside down!)
  3. Draw your swirly shapes in gold staying in the cut out shape. You can use dots at the edge to refine the corners.
  4. Do the same for the bucket. (I used red but you can use any colour you want.)
  5. When you remove the template you will have a delightful tree shape with a delightful bucket!
  6. Just join the tree to its bucket with a few little dots.
  7. Glue the star to the top
  8. Add your little Christmas Greeting at the bottom
  9. Run your pen around the square.

there you have it!

The great thing about this, is that it is as relaxing as colouring in, but each card will be slightly different.

I know this is rare for me, as I never know when to stop when it comes to embellishing things, just take a look at my jumper bag for an example! However, it is the pure simplicity of this card that makes it wonderful.

If your fingers really itch to add more then you could add a little bow to the bucket but then STOP!

hope you make some of your own, or it is that easy your kids could have a go!

If you want to alter the pattern just use the little square handles around the template to adjust it larger, thinner or fatter!

Happy crafting!




By the way, while I was half way through this I had yet another power cut!!! As if living without heating, being alone because C was on a course on top of all that we had a power cut! What made it harder was it only affected a couple of houses in the street, I could gaze longingly at the houses lit up like Christmas trees! Fortunately we have power once more I now have lanterns, torches, a gas kettle and batteries, now I am prepared I am sure we won't have a power cut again!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea. It is a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty card, thank you for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks would love to see your own cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really pretty! :)

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, i just send items to the mag freelance :)

    Hugs
    Debbie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is very good and informative. You have sharing good idea's with internet users. keep it up.

    I found some new web templates on Swish web templates at easy to download.

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you