Saturday 7 November 2009

Saturday Sewing





I simply adore the crochet doilies you can get for pennies in charity shops, so I thought I might use them in my latest project for the sales table at the WI. They give a lovely vintage feel especially if you combine it with linens.

I love making wheat bags, they are so easy to make yet make great presents and are so comforting.

They are just simple rectangles you can make them to any size depending on what you would like to use them for. Long and thin for round your neck, or more square for your tummy.

I fill mine with pearl barley which costs 39p from tesco and I add my own lavender from the garden.

You simply put them in the microwave for one or two minutes depending on the size, the lavender really gives up a lovely relaxing scent as you let the warmth relax tired muscles or they are simply wonderful for period pains.

It is always a good idea to do a double seam, as it stops the wheat from escaping.





When I was a child I always wanted a rag doll, a proper home made doll but I never got one. So I started this rag doll for a competition and run out of time to finish it. She ended up naked in the shed until I found her while I was having a sort out. I decided to give her some clothes. I still have to make her shoes but I like the way she has turned out. I will keep her on a shelf in the shed. At last, after nearly thirty five years, I have my own rag doll!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I really love the wheat warmers!! I have bought them in the past (very expensive!!) as I agree totally about how comforting they are. I hadn't thought about making one myself. I must have a go!

    The dolly is beuatiful too, she will definitely make you smile every time you enter your shed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's too lovely to be banished to the shed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, Shazronnie, the shed is simply beautiful it is my studio I am sure my little doll won't mind

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw, bulgar wheat is probably the best for making wheat bags.

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you