Saturday 28 November 2009

Book Review - Found Wanting

I have been a fan of Robert Goddard for about ten years. I read hand in glove and could not put it down, it was absolutely brilliant. I think my favourite is In Pale Battalions, which had me desperate to read right to the end as the plot weaves its mysteries until the tension builds to fever pitch!

This is his latest out in paperback, a bundle of letters that could identify the mystery surrounding Anastasia the Russian Royal Family mystery. The story weaves around the colder countries in Europe during a cold February, and the protagonist, Richard Eusden is trying to help his school friend by delivering the case of letters to a buyer.

What follows is a wander from Belgium, Germany and Copenhagen and Iceland, Eusden getting his hands on the case only to have it snatched away. There are a number of interested parties trying to get their hands on the case, a world wide corporation, an American, a seedy guy called Straub and a young student. They all are trying to get at the case and its contents with their own motives, the contents was supposed to solve the mystery of Anastasia. There is a love interest for our protagonist, which is usual in Goddard's books.

I wanted to enjoy this novel, but I have to admit, after the fifth time Eusden was hit on the head after getting his hands on the case I just got bored. Basically I did not care about the mystery, it was just the same incident over and over, just different characters getting their hands on the case.

I have noticed the last few novels just don't seem to have the pace or the twists and turns of his previous books, Goddard always writes about historical facts, the JFK, Winston Churchill, WW 1, the mysteries believable and interesting, but this one is just boring. He writes that he was asked to write about this mystery, but it isn't written with enough passion or conviction. While he does give a sense of these bleak countries, the descriptions of the cold are very good, there just isn't enough to keep me reading. I actually skipped to the last chapter. The ending was a little predictable, but I would not recommend this book, it isn't his best. However, I think I will pick up the next one and hope the magic is back.

If you enjoy mysteries, then I would recommend Nicci French, Beneath the Skin, secret smile or land of the living. They are real terrifying page turners.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you