Wednesday 23 September 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

“the only bad thing about this book is that it ends” this is like no other book I have read, I must admit that it took two attempts, as I found the Juliet’s voice a little bit posh for my liking. But I finished the ‘story of us’ and brought this along with me so gave it another go! I am so glad I did, I could not put it down.
Once you get to the Guernsey letters the characters in the story are wonderful, most of them quirky, yet endearing, the extra ordinary name is all explained, so I won’t give it away here. It just shows the strength of the writing that the characters come alive so well in the short letters going back and forth, each character’s voice comes across clearly, I found I did not need to read the short introduction.
This is an uplifting book, about people finding solace in reading through adversity; it does have some sad stories to tell, but told with such humanity and lightness of touch, you are drawn in. Don’t think for one minute this is ‘mis-lit’ there is so much to laugh at it is a joy to read leaving me very optimistic and full of hope.
Read the postscript comments by Annie Barrows, it tells you a little about Mary Ann Shaffer, clearly an amazing woman. I particularly liked Annie’s last remarks,
“We are transformed magically into a literary society every time we pass a book along, each time we ask a question about it, each time we say, ‘if you liked that, I bet you’d like this.’ Whenever we are willing to be delighted and share our delight, as Mary Ann did, we are part of the ongoing story of the ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’. “
Anne Barrows 2009.
Read it, you will love it just as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you