Wednesday 23 September 2009

Book Review The Story of Us Marcia Preston

‘The story of Us’ by Marcia Preston

After reading the Butterfly House, I was intrigued to read more from Maria Preston; I found her writing so evocative I did not want to just read one of her books before passing judgement, I am so glad I did. This book is so much fuller than the Butterfly House, the characters are more developed, Marcia writes beautifully. It is rare these days for me to just stop reading for a moment and savour the lines, but I had to stop at one point and simply admire her skill of writing! The emotion she conveyed in that moment really touched me.

You will think I am very maudlin at the moment, because this is the tale about a young man dying in a car crash, however, it is more about the characters around this event, namely his mother, his girlfriend the recipient of his heart, his father and the man who causes the accident. Their stories are beautifully woven, sometimes you see the same event through two different perspectives; it is delicately done.

It is about loss and coming to terms with grief, but also about how damaged people can find their way back as well as how we can all be connected through circumstances. The chapter where the mother places her hands above her son’s heart is simply beautiful, I had to stop reading and just savour the writing. If I could change one thing it is that Marcia seems to pile on the difficulties, her characters seem to be drowned in tragedy rather than just one event, I think it stresses the point a little too much. (the butterfly house was layered on too thickly!). I think this writer just gets better and better, however, I think it is time for something a little more light hearted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you