Friday 25 September 2009

Butternut Squash Soup


Butternut Squash sums up Autumn for me! Maybe it is their golden colour or the gorgeous creamy flavour. The fabulous M came over to take me to the doc's (two more weeks and I might be back to normal!) then we had a lovely day in the shed! Mind you we spent a lot of time watching the chooks! I make this soup for all my friends when they come over and have very positive comments. So here it is for you. The ingredients are not exact find a combination to suit you! It is lovely with granary bread doorsteps thickly spread with butter!


1 large butternut squash
1 red onion
1 1/2 pints of good quality vegetable stock (I use marigold)
A good handful of red lentils
a good squidge of tomato puree
500 ml of creme fraiche
Olive oil
Good teaspoon of ginger
coriander or parsley

Saute the chopped onion gently in the olive oil,
Peel the butternut squash, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and cut into cubes of roughly the same size add to the onions and allow to soften. Put a lid on the pan and allow the onions and squash to sweat for a while, about 15 to 20 Min's. (stir now and then)
Add ginger and stir, (you can add paprika or chili powder if you like it hot)
Pour over the stock, add the squish of tomato puree and let it slowly bubble away for 30 - 45 minutes. (keep the lid on and stir now and then). Remove the lid and allow the soup to reduce a little, (around 15 minutes). You can either use a liquidiser to smooth the soup, or if you prefer it a little more chunky use a potato masher stir in the creme fraiche, serve with chopped herbs of your choice.

The tomato puree is great for adding colour which is why I use red onion too. You can mix up the veg, I sometimes add carrots or sweet potatoes! I hope you enjoy it! The ginger gives it a little kick, add as much as you want.


While we ate, I could not help take a pic of Oscar, I think he has taken up meditation! Such a gorgeous boy!

3 comments:

  1. I make a butternut soup with tomatoes, curry paste and cocnut milk and it just tastes of autumn. My kids love it.
    Love the poppy painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Will try that combination, sounds great1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh as the gorgeous j pointed out I missed out when to add the lentils!

    So if you are trying this recipe add the lentils after the stock they will thicken the soup nicely!

    hope you enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you