Friday 11 September 2009

A different perspective

Last Saturday I was dancing away quite happily when ping! something went in the back of my leg, followed by a really bad cramp! A visit to the hospital confirmed I had torn a ligament, no walking for at least two weeks! No dancing for a month!

When my lovely daughter suggested a trip to my favourite fabric store which has just moved to bigger premises. We thought we would try out the shop mobility, as I could not walk far! They were fantastic, the guy wanted me to try a mobility scooter, but the wicker basket just wasn't me! I opted for an electric wheelchair with a joystick! After cursory form filling, the exchange of a fiver, and some relatively easy manoeuvring challenges, (pretend you are in a lift) I was waved off with the the guys kind words ringing in my ears
"you are covered by insurance if you break anything!" I was now in charge of an electric wheelchair with a top speed of 5 miles an hour!

Pretending you are in a lift is actually easier than actually being in one! Following my mentors advice I went in forwards and attempted to exit the lift backwards. However, i hit the side of the lift and went forward for another attempt, when the lift doors shut and I was taken up to the next floor! After going up and down a few times, I managed to get out of the lift, a kind lady risked white finger by pressing the open door button for a full five minutes!

If you ever want to take up shop lifting, an electric wheelchair makes a great accomplice, in a clothes shop I caught the handles on a couple of dresses and a bag! Fortunately Lucy came to my rescue, a five mile an hour getaway vehicle was no match for a security guard.

I did not realise how difficult it is trying to get round the shopping centre, people walk right in front of you, so I got very good at emergency stops. I now realise why it is important to have ramps and wide doors, it is nearly impossible to get round some shops!

The new store was great, I bought some fab red polka dot fabric for a fifties inspired dress from the sew magazine. At least I will have time to make it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds so painful, I hope your leg is better soon! Your experiences with the electronic wheelchair made me smile and will make me much more conscious of not getting in their way when I'm out and about again!

    The dress is really gorgeous and really lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you