Sunday 10 January 2010

Oh look what arrived this week!

It's arrived from KapomCrafts Etsy store, a lovely new case for my new iPhone! When I saw it I fell in love with the gorgeous fabric, and when it arrived it is simply beautifully made, each stitch is perfect! The gorgeous soft fleecy fabric is going be a cosy place to keep my little toy!
I adore it.

If you do get the chance, it is well worth buying stuff on Etsy, not only do you have access to some very wonderful talented people, but it is so satisfying knowing you are giving your money to someone who will feel encouraged that their skills are appreciated, and not some poor child working in a sweat shop to make a profit for a huge business! So, not only do I get something wonderful and unique, but I also get to feel a little smug about it too!

I don't know if you remember back in November I covered a large A4 diary, well I had a great idea for using it. Laying in my lovely warm bubble bath the other night, (after hearing about a colleague's boiler break down) I felt incredibly grateful for the warm water, warm towels etc, so I decided I would start a diary called threes and fives. Now that sounds a strange name for a diary but bear with me.

I was listening to a programme on the radio, about how time seems to speed up as we get older. When we are children a year seemed such a long time, but when we are adults it just spins by. The presenter said it was all down to new experiences.

New Experiences are the markers in which our brains mark the passing of time, so as a child has lots of new experiences every day, time seems to be made up of lots of markers. Of course when you are an adult the new experiences reduce, hence fewer markers through out our year and therefore it seems to just vanish.

Well, back to threes and fives. Every day, I plan to put in three things that have made me happy. This may sound a little Pollyanna but it can actually lift depression. (Don't get me on to how our society is driven by making us always stay in a state of need) So that is the threes.

The five is my attempt to slow down time, I will try and find something every day, or at least once a week, where I experience it using one of my five senses - as if it was the first time!

So if I want to reach for a lovely bar of chocolate, i would record what that experience is actually like, what senses do i use? How does the chocolate smell? What does it feel like to have it melt on my tongue!

I am pledging to do this at least once a week, but I don't want to make this blog an extension of the book so I will post it on my flying blog, if you fancy a go just add your experiences in the comments part. I would love to hear about yours!

Happy New Year to you all.

here's to slowing down time!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. That's a nice idea.

    On the happy side of things:
    -I like looking at photographs of gorgeous beaches and swimming pools. Preferably ones I've taken then I can relive the memories of walks and swims. Also look forward to the next holiday when I'll be taking more photos.
    -I try to sit and watch my granddaughter singing and dancing when she's not looking. Lovely!
    -I enjoy a lovely cup of capuccino every morning since I retired and savour the fact I don't have to drive to work.

    These lovely things slow me down too. In fact sometimes I have to give myslef a kick to get me going again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely idea!! I want to get back into recording the lovely things that go on in my life. I used to keep a diary and write in it every day, I used to look forward to sitting down and doing this, but I just got out of the habit and then when life was hard, I would try to write down what I was feeling, but it seemed even harder, writing down the important, but painful things that were occupying my days. Choosing three good things is a really positive thing and is bound to bring them to the forefront of the mind, hopefully making the difficult things less prominent.

    I want to start a scrapbook as soon as I can, for the same reason. Lovely days should be remembered and recorded, I'm horrified by how quickly I forget funny things and the details of happy days with my family. Lovely post!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. send Clive on a long walk and treat yourself to the boxed sets of Larkrise to Candleford - we girls deserve the odd costume drama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Katie, are you trying to lead me astray! I must admit I am tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats sounds a good plan. I have a friend who is finding things tough t the moment and she writes a journal about being grateful. Its helping her a lot. I liked your last post about fear of shining aswell. Its tough putting yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you