Friday 7 August 2009

Radio

The BBC have just reported that listening figures for radio has increased, saying 90% of the population listen to at least 5 minutes of radio a day!

I discovered talking radio when I was about 12 years old, I had a small radio almost the size of an early mobile phone (in other words a bit of a brick!) the great thing was I could listen to it late at night under the bedclothes! I suppose it was some comfort, because whenever I stayed at my Nan's we would always listen to the radio before going to sleep. The shipping forcast seemed so exciting!

Of course there was radio luxemburg, but the reception was so scratchy I soon re-tuned, that was when I found the BBC World Service. I can still hear the music as I write this, it was such a catchy tune! Here began my life long love affair with radio 4 and speech radio.

My parents weren't really interested in cultural things, such as classical music and literature, so the radio filled in the gap for me. I learnt so much over the years, travelled the world, listening to the reports "from our own correspondent", womens issues in woman's hour, but what really sparked my interest were the radio plays, poetry and short stories.

Radio is a richer experience than film or television, as the imagination is far more effective than any special effects team. I love the way radio can take you anywhere in time and space, and it feels so personal. I know I tried to write several short stories for radio, and one day I hope I will be successful.

3 comments:

  1. I love radio. I started getting into radio when I was a teen and used to listen to the top 40 with a blank casette at the ready, to record my favourite songs when they came on. Recently, I have treated myself to a lovely DAB radio which can record and reply programmes and I love listening to a good comedy whilst cleaning the kitchen, I keep finding extra bits to clean so I can keep on listening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,Pippa I listen to the radio too, but I use my lap top in the kitchen!!! what are your favourites? I love just a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love Just a Minute (especially when Graham Norton is on!) too and The News Quiz makes me laugh. I like Radio 2 in the daytime, I've always been a fan of Terry Wogan (used to have a Wake Up To Wogan sweatshirt!!) and I like Jeremy Vine Show too. I like the old-fashioned programmes like Round the Horne, they're not very PC, but they always make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you