Saturday 22 August 2009

Chickens



I have always wanted to keep chickens, since discovering a coop at the bottom of my Gran's garden! Imagine my delight when I discovered you did not need a farmyard to keep these amusing creatures!


I realise the value of my wonderful man in my life, when he saw how I loved the chickens he was soon bidding for a lovely coop on the Internet! Only after we had a trip to the farm for me to handle the chickens to see if I can do it! Isn't it a lovely home? We are going to build a bigger run, so they have more room to run about when we are at work! So after only a week we have chickens! They are only 16 weeks old, and will be coming into lay hopefully the middle of this week!


If you ever feel stressed or depressed, then get yourself some chickens, they are such intelligent animals! It did not take them long to realise that I often came bearing a handful of corn, (chicken sweeties) and the disappointed looks I get when I don't give them any! However their favourite by far (and it did send them into a bit of a frenzy!) was the left over spaghetti! They really went mad on that! (in tomato sauce as you can't give them meat under any circumstances!)


They take themselves to bed very nicely as soon as the light fades, but a little run down to the coop at six is challenging at weekends. No eggs yet, but hey any day now!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I really am envious now!! We're not allowed to keep chickens where we live (far too smart - well apart from our messy house!) but we are hoping to move and the first thing I want to get are chickens!! I agree so much with what you say about them being intelligent and relaxing animals to be around and I really love that chicken coop!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I get new chickens I am always told that they are about to lay, but it always takes longer than you think (and you are promised!). I think they take a while to settle in to a new home. But they are lovely to have - and the eggs are like nothing you can buy.

    Have just discovered your blog - and am always attracted by hens!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pippa good luck with the move, I am sure you will have your own chickens soon!

    Pomona thank you for your reassurance about the egg laying, I was begining to worry! How many chickens do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have 16 active layers, and 7 'old girls' who are in semi-retirement, but I am a bit soft about giving them the heave-ho, even though they are not very productive now!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you