Sunday 20 December 2009

Play dough!

I made this large lump for my three year old nephew. It brought back some lovely memories making this with my two, how the time flies! One minute you are making pounds of play dough the next they are boxing up their things and moving to their own flat! (yes, W is leaving home and moving into his little flat tomorrow!) I will miss him, but he isn't all that far away.

Well, this is part of my nephew's present, he has a little baking kit, a gorgeous apron I bought at the University craft fair together with these colourful lumps! I was quite surprised how expensive play dough is compared to how cheaply you can make it!

I expect you all know how to make it yourself, but in case you don't here is the recipe for you.

1 measuring jug full of flour, (strong bread flour is best if you have it, or plain is fine)
1 measuring jug full of water (add drops of food colouring to the water)
1/2 measuring jug of salt
1table spoon of oil

Place in a saucepan and mix ingredients together to form a goo, don't worry too much about lumps.
cook the mixture slowly under a gentle heat
Keep the mixture moving, stirring all the time, this will get harder as the mixture thickens.
Remove from the heat when it starts to thicken, even though there will still be some gloopy mixture left.
Knead on a board, the mixture will eventually even out and become a nice dough. If it is still too gloopy return to the heat. (you could do this in the microwave but I am a little old fashioned! My adivice is put it in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, then stir.)

Store in a plastic tub to keep it from drying out, it will last for a month or two and the salt will discourage eating!
The good news is that if you do get it on the carpet, just allow it to dry out and you will be able to hoover up the crumbs.

Can't wait to have grandchildren, I miss playing with this stuff!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Looks like great fun!! My granddaughter is 2, so this kind of play would be just her thing!
    Have a lovely Christmas : )

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Play Doh, but have yet to attempt making my own, so many different recipes out there, but your Play Dough looks brilliant, will definitely give it a go now!!

    Somebody brought some home made Play Dough into the home educating group I go to and I swear it lasted much longer than the shop bought stuff, it was out all day in a warm atmosphere and none of it dried out at all. A lovely present for a little one too!!

    I too look forward to being a granny even though I have some time to wait as my eldest is only eleven!! I'm a much more patient mum the older I get, so it will be nice to do the things that my older children may have missed out on with grandchildren!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the same recipe my granmother used!

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you