Monday 11 May 2009

Lap quilt


Sometimes, especially on a chilly evening, I want a little quilt to snuggle under while I relax on the sofa. The trouble is the one I have is beautiful but big enough for a single bed and it is a wrestling match, what I need is a little lap quilt, just big enough to cover my legs without being too heavy. I bought three fat quarters of some fabulous material at Becca’s Emporium back in October, however it wasn’t enough to make a quilt and too far away to get more. I toddled off to Eileen at Waterside Fabrics and she picked up some lovely fabrics to match, she has such a talent, so my lap quilt is born.
Sunday was one of those clear sunny spring days, when it is a joy to be in the shed. I have my desk placed in a corner with two windows out onto the garden, it is such a lovely view. With the door open it almost seems as if I am outside sewing. The cat sneaks in and curls up on the chair, the sun warming his fur.
I started with the middle section, creating a log cabin effect. Then I divided up the fat quarter with the cakes and tea on them, they were such beautiful strips it seemed a shame to cut them up so I left them as they were. I slowly added sections to the quilt making them semi-symmetrical but keeping the pattern random. I worked round ensuring that the pattern remained haphazard, it was a creative leap for me as I usually stay quite rigid to patterns. While I was cutting and stitching I remembered how long all this took and I was quite impatient to make it, so I decided to make simple blocks with a view to being more creative with the quilting. After a joyous day of cutting, piecing and sewing the top was finished, what a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you