Tuesday 30 March 2010

Sorted!




I injured my foot when I was a child, most of the time my foot doesn’t hurt, but sometimes, if I am not careful, or there is alot of rain it really hurts for a while.

Just because I am in my forties, my foot doesn’t miraculously heal, I still have to be careful with it, and not aggrivate it too much. When it hurts, i take care of myself, do things that ease the pain, knowing that in time, the pain will cease and I will be free again.

So what does my foot have to do with being forty and resolving my problems?

We all have human parents, some of us suffer in our childhoods. I sometimes get to thinking Shouldn’t I be over my childhood by now? Shouldn’t I be a strong, loving woman with high self esteem after all my therapy, self help reading and hard work? After all that I should have “sorted” things or “got over it now”

Sometimes my gremlin tells me “told you it did not work, you are right back where you started!” In a really high pitched whiny voice!

Those thoughts may lead me to feel a failure if the same issue comes round again. So not only do I have to have the same issue, but I also load on the guilt for “not sorting it” or “not getting over it”.

So instead I like to think of my rejection sensitivity is something that happens now and then, just like my foot. It hurts, sometimes it really really hurts, I need to give myself tender care for a while, nurture myself and know that the pain will ease, in time.

Maybe it will happen again, and maybe it won’t, who knows? It doesn’t mean I have failed.

It might not be something that works for others, but for me it helps.

with love

3 comments:

  1. You are human and not a computer so cannot control your thoughts but just work with them. Sometimes it would be lovely to just have an off switch wouldn't it and they power back up all refreshed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading something about seeing it as a butterfly that lightly touches you then flies away. that helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wise words which I can relate to having suffered with Glycogen Storage Disorder that affected my self esteem as a child too. We all have relapses because it't true we are only human. It's good to take time out focus on ourselves sometimes and not feel guilty.
    Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you