Monday 12 April 2010

A lost art


Since I moved my Grandmother's writing bureau into my bedroom, I have started to write more letters! It feels fabulous to sit at my little desk with all my envelopes, notelets and pens just waiting for me to pen a word or two. It feels wonderful! Not only does it give me the opportunity to unleash my passion for stationery, but it delights my artist, especially when I use a proper seal!

There is a delight in writing, especially when you take your time and let the writing develop slowly. This advice came from the Artist's Way, when we slow down to write it actually calms our thinking too!

I have a lovely pen pal, it is such a pleasure to see her writing sticking out among the junk mail, it gives me a little tingle of pleasure. So much so I am thinking of finding one or two more!

I have started to write all sorts of things, to friends I don't see that often and who live far away, a thank you note here and there. It gives me so much pleasure, and in an age of text or email, it gives the opportunity to savour the words, re-read them if necessary. Texting invites us to be succinct, to the point, but will we have a record of our lives as previous generations did?


Alongside my writing desk, I have my noticeboard, (painted on a previous post) and I have letters and cards I received from friends, it is the first thing I see in the morning, and it makes me feel loved and appreciated.

I often feel very busy and there are times when there doesn't seem to be a spare moment, but since I have stopped watching TV so much it is surprising just how much time I have! (Thank goodness for sky plus I say! I don't waste any time on drivel!)

So keep the art alive, write a letter today!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I bet people love receiving your wax sealed letters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing letters, but I'm really fussy about what pen I used. I only really like using fountain pens when writing letters and a couple of years ago, I bought myself a gorgeous Waterman (which cost me an embarrassing amount), but is so lovely and smooth to write with. I do use email, but I much prefer the hand-written letter. I also have a seal stamp too, I think I bought it from a gift shop, it has my initial on it, but I always feel like Jane Austen whenever I use it. Your post has reminded me that I haven't used it for months and that I need to go and buy more sealing wax! Glad it's not just me that loves these things.

    ReplyDelete

Hi thank you for stopping by and reading my post, I really value your comments, thank you